Re: sysVinit 2.75_3 + consoles

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
3 Nov 1998 14:20:41 +0100

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.02.9811031142360.8394-100000@isgf.grf.bg.ac.yu>,
Goran Gajic <ggajic@isgf.grf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:

>There is strange problem I have noticed with system V init 2.75 and
>virtual consoles. SysVinit 2.75_3 sometimes fails to clean up utmp.

That's usually because the UTMP file was messed up. There are no known bugs
in the current sysvinit versions ..

>It results that finger shows users that are no longer actually
>logged in, but it also results that e.g. if that users was logged
>in on tty1, that agetty will end up with D stat and wait_on_buff
>WCHAN in few hours. Since processes with D stat cannot be killed if you
>manually clean utmp everything will be restored to normal state. Is this
>kernel problem or sysvinit bug?

Processes hung in D state are sometimes due to a kernel bug, but can also be
caused by bad memory or a dying disk, or even bad SCSI cabling.

Mike.

--
... one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking
zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.