Re: Volume Managers in Linux

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:45:22 -0500 (EST)

Shawn Leas writes:
> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, Florian Lohoff wrote:

>> Yep - And even this Ted thought of beeing integrated into the ext234
>> filesystem
>
> THIS is not the unix way. The unix way is to provide a primitave
> for userspace to do with as it needs. NOT make EXT2 like MS Word.

We are discussing the kernel itself. The "unix way" generally refers
to userspace. Linux is _not_ a multi-server microkernel system with
the filesystem in userspace.

> However, I still have to take issue with shoving volume mgmt into
> the FS layer. Remember, LVM gives ALL of userland a simple block
> device to use. All the features, however you wanna use it.
> All well and good. BUT what of simple multi-volume block devices?
> Requiring userland to use EXT2 to get RAID or multivolume is broken.

Why does userland need a simple block device?

fsck: handled already by the existing block devices
big science: an LVM adds overhead just like a filesystem would
databases: not reccommended in 1998, and see "big science"
???

In any case, you can use MD.

I'd say you need large file support. Hack that instead, because it
will be more useful to more people and easier to use than an LVM.