Re: Volume Managers in Linux

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 16:39:54 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, James Fidell wrote:

> Quoting Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU):
>
> > I've never claimed that the ext2 is the best way to do RAID; I think MD
> > is the way to do that. However, allowing ext2 to be able to support
> > filesystems which span multiple block devices is a good thing to do, and
> > a cleaner way of supporting multivolume support. Examples of
> > filesystems which do this include the UDF filesystem used by DVD-ROM's,
> > and Digital Unix's Advanced Filesystem.
>
> What "feels wrong" about this to me is that all fs implementations are
> then required to implement multiple device spanning, or they can't be
> used on spanning partitions at all.

Big point. It would be nice, however, to have a FS that can simply span
multiple block devices. I fear many will start yelling "Large files
on 32bit arch is more important!".

I mean, what you get by using multiple devices with an FS is a big
area to put files. Probably big files, right? Oh well, that's neither
here nor there. Just musings... Don't mind me.

> Conceptually it seems simpler to have the virtual layer which understands
> how to span multiple partitions, but which looks like a block device from
> the "user" view, thus allowing any filesystem type to be used upon it, be
> that ext2, reiserfs, ufs or something even better that we haven't even
> thought of yet. In this respect, MD seems like it's heading in the right
> direction, though I believe it needs more support for mirroring and
> striping (ie striped mirrors, or mirrors of stripes ?), better management
> tools and full error recovery. I don't know if that's what LVM gets
> you (if it's similar to Veritas Volume Manager, then I guess so), because
> I haven't had the chance to look at it yet.

The whole spirit of the implementation is exactly this. I've noticed many
more people having had experience with different LVM styles this time
around. Nice to see...

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2113 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2132 for the rich and the dead.
809 days remaining in the Raw Deal.