Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 09:41:03 +1100

Horst von Brand writes:
> Anyway, much more disturbing is the idea of "extending" the "too
> simple" IETF protocols, and hinting at adding enough complexity and
> options that "others" will have a hard time selecting what to
> implement first, and how. If you look at the backwaters of the 'net
> (like around here), things don't work so great because sysadmins of
> even larger corporations and mayor ISPs around here don't get the
> basics straight... now think about what will happen if the
> "wounderfully extended" protocols become the norm. the IETF has an
> interesting enough life as is getting the "too simple" protocols to
> work sanely, hardware/software providers and sysadmins have a hard
> time understanding, implementing and exploiting the "too simple"
> stuff today. I.e., imagine MS-mess but on Internet scale, not just
> desktop-scale. If you can.

Yes, it's clear that M$ thinks the immediate threat from Linux is that
they will loose the server market. However, scary as it is to think
that they will try to introduce (in effect) propriety protocols, the
picture you paint shows wht in reality it's not a problem.

As you said, it's hard enough managing a network with simple and open
protocols. For M$ to keep OSS on the back foot, they would have to
constantly "upgrade" (read: change in some subtle and incompatible
way) their protocols. These upgrades would have to come at a faster
rate than the OSS community could cope with.

This is a two-edged sword. If M$ pushes a new protocol or "extension"
onto the Internet (or even into a corporate LAN/WAN), they will
*break* that network. It will break because it is simply not possible
to upgrade all components of a network at once, and older components
will not understand the new extensions. The result is that the new
servers will have to be put back the way they were.

So I don't think their tactic will work. Nevertheless, I think the
U.S.A. DOJ should take a good look at this internal memo.

Regards,

Richard....