Re: current->timeout = jiffies + ? -> schedule_timeout(?)

Matthias Welwarsky (matze@stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de)
Thu, 05 Nov 1998 18:05:52 +0100

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> > Is everything that does a 'current->timeout = jiffies + x;' obsolete and
> > needing to be redone as 'schedule_timeout(x);'?
>
> Yes. However, I've done some of it already. Sending me patches is still a
> good idea, though.
>
> The areas that I haven't done are mainly:
> - non-PC drivers
> - ISDN
> - cdrom drivers
> - some of the more special serial and parallel port drivers
>
> Thanks,

Btw, there's a certain amount of "schedule_timeout(<constant value>)",
even in generic drivers/subsystems. I think these should be looked at by
the appropriate maintainers and be replaced by HZ-relative values. Not
all archs use HZ=100.

Gruss,
Matthias