Re: bootp and all-ones source address

Eric Brunson (brunson@l3.net)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 12:06:19 -0700

How else would you broadcast a bootp request? This is the
non-directed broadcast address, so if your server is not receiving it
there may be some piece of network equipment (switch/bridge/router)
that is not passing these broadcast packets. This isn't that
uncommon, otherwise pinging 255.255.255.255 would elicit a response
from every IP device on the internet.

Are the server and client on the same network segment?

Have you tried looking for the packets with tcpdump? For bootpd to
see them they would have to have made their way to the application
layer already. Many other things could have gone wrong by then.

On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 04:38:53PM +0100, Ole Myren R|hne wrote:
> I am trying to use a 2.1.126 linux machine as a bootserver for a
> machine that emits bootp request packets with the source address and
> the dest address set to all-ones (255.255.255.255); this seems to be a
> problem.
>
> Using bootpd -d shows that the packets never get to the bootpd server
> and no answere is possible. When testing the bootpd server with bootpc
> on another linux box, the source address is sensible and things work
> as expected.
>
> I suspect that the packets with the funny source address get dropped
> as martians somewhere in the kernel code. From the traffic on this
> list I realize that earlier 2.1 kernels had a
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_bootp_agent - but this no longer exists... Any
> hint is apprechiated!
>
> Ole
>
> -

Eric Brunson                * _ o  *       Faster and faster,
brunson@brunson.com        * / //\           until the thrill of speed
brunson@l3.net                \>>|   *         overcomes the fear of death
page-eric@l3.net               \\,