Re: Volume Managers in Linux

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 18:47:50 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 17:31:19 -0600 (CST), Shawn Leas
> <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com> said:
>
> > THIS is not the unix way. The unix way is to provide a primitave
> > for userspace to do with as it needs. NOT make EXT2 like MS Word.
> > Ted has done GREAT work in coding all that he has. He's the brain
> > behind PowerQuest's Ext2 resizer in their Partition Magic program.
>
> > However, I still have to take issue with shoving volume mgmt into
> > the FS layer. Remember, LVM gives ALL of userland a simple block
> > device to use. All the features, however you wanna use it.
>
> This is not true.
>
> There are at least two important features which *cannot* be achieved in
> an LVM. One is online resize of filesystems. The second is filesystems
> larger than 1TB.

As usual, all your assertions are essentially correct. But, by saying
"all the features" I meant all those provided by the LVM and nothing
else. Block device layer fixes aside, FS resizing issues are not a
feature of LVM. It is simply this...

you grow the LV...
you unmount the FS or not...
you tell the FS to use XXX Mb, shrinking or growing it to the size of the LV.
you remount the FS or not...

Online resizing is LVM related, but it is a FS task. When you resize an LV,
you must "tell" the fs to use the rest of the LV. The point is LVM is
probably still value added even with dumb filesystems.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that online resizing and other needed
fixes I was unaware of were not included by "all the features". LVM
gives what LVM gives, and the FS can use these additional qualities
that LVM gives a block device or not.

That having been said, Stephen is another one of the SUPER brains
behind stuff I use, and thanks a million!

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2115 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2134 for the rich and the dead.
807 days remaining in the Raw Deal.