Re: high-end vs. low end [was: Linux vs. FreeBSD]

C S Hendrix (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Thu, 05 Nov 1998 20:10:36 -0500

In message <19981104145238.13623@bug.ucw.cz>, Pavel Machek writes:

> Hi!
>
> > > Don't forget, the point is, that linux makes a perfect Xterminal of
> > > a 386 with 8M ram (and should further versions do so too).
> >
> > It probably will. It might even work better :)
>
> Don't think so. I tried to make X run on 386 with 8meg and hercules,
> and it is very slow. It is usable, but when X it start 2 minutes or
> so, it is not nice. So - 386 was never nice X terminal.

Interesting. You just described my first Linux machine. It booted
faster than my current PPro system (hate the BIOS, hate hate hate).

It is what sold me on Linux way back when. Nothing else ran
acceptable on my machine, at all.

Oh, and, I had 5mb of RAM, and a 40MB Seagate 251-1 on an MFM
controller. It soon got about 12MB RAM, and a 100MB IDE drive.
I built kernels and most of my software on this thing.

--
Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - www.widomaker.com/~shendrix/myresume.html