Re: linux && ultrix

Aaron J. Grier (agrier@cse.ogi.edu)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 18:59:46 -0800

On Fri, Oct 23, 1998 at 02:54:34PM +0200, Peter Svensson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Victor Stanescu wrote:
>
> > is there any support for ultrix filesystem in linux? i have an old ide
> > disk from a dead dec station and i would like to read it from linux, if
> > possible.

I assume you mean a SCSI drive? :)

> I think they use a normal bsd ufs filesystem. Have a look at the
> CONFIG_UFS_FS, CONFIG_SMD_DISKLABEL, CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL kernel
> configuration options. There is the possibility of endianess problems, I
> have not tried it myself.

Although the MIPS in the DECStations could act either big- or little-
endian, I believe that Ultrix runs in little-endian mode... Another
possibility would be to install NetBSD on your DECStation, as I know
from experience it can read Ultrix disks. :)

----
Aaron J. Grier | Staff Programmer, OGI | agrier@cse.ogi.edu
"Windows is the one true OS. MS invented the GUI. MS invented the 32
bit OS. MS is open and standard. MS loves you. We have always been
at war with Oceania." -- Tracy Reed