Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document

christophe leroy (christophe.leroy5@capway.com)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 11:56:35 MET

> From: owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu
> To: linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: linux-kernel-digest V1 #2793
> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:19:35 -0500

> On 05-Nov-98 Riley Williams wrote:
> > I have a simple solution to this - if somebody sends me an attachment
> > that I can't extract, I send them a message saying so and advising
> > them to send it in a format that I can extract. As far as I'm
> > concerned, the onus is on the SENDER to ensure the recipient can use
> > what they're attaching, not on the recipient to waste time doing other
> > people's jobs for them...
> yeah
> like i'm going to tell a potential costomer (one that i've been chasing for
> MONTHS) and who finally sends me the spec that i've been practically been begging
> him to - i'm going to tell him to get a better mailer and send it again
> right!
> what i did do was extract it with outlook (once i'd configured it and got pop3d to
> work and ...) and THEN sent him email telling him to get a better mailer :-)
>
> resistance is futile - you *have* been assimilated

I agree. It's up to the receiver to be able to read what he receives.
That is also Sun's opinion, as Sun Solaris Openwindows Mailtool
is able to receive MIME-encoded and UUENCODED files but can
only send UUENCODED files.
And it's often easier to read everything than write every langage.
I can read American and English, but When I write, I write english
(I understand words colour and color, but write color).
I can read German, but I can't write.

christophe leroy