Re: Source Routing

Alan Clucas (orb@btinternet.com)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 11:28:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Andre Correa wrote:

> Hi all, I need some help on where to find info for the source routing
> and policy routing facilities for the 2.1.x kernels. I already running
> 2.1.124 and compiled the "ip" tool and "ipchains" and saw all the --help
> but it does not help too much. A searched all the web for info and all I
> found is some guys searching too and other telling that the docs are not
> already done. Anyway I NEED to use this features to enable an upgrade to
> my links for the Net and can't find someone to help me.

What you are after is the 'ip' tool you already have. To set up a route to
a single entity is a two stage process.

ip rule add from 192.9.100.1 table 1
ip route add 0/0 table 1 dev eth1

The table number is the magic link between the two lines.

You need some magic kernel options - in particular the netlink option. The
help that comes with this tool is useless.

Hope you can work out how to do what you want...

Alan