Re: swapfile security weakeness

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 09:41:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

>> swapon should keep a handle on the inode, which means the file won't
>> be removed from the physical media even if it is unlinked (just like
>> open files aren't.)
>
>Unfortunately, there are a few issues with that:
>- it doesn't work on inodeless FSes (msdosfs)
>- you can't swapoff() a deleted file, leaving minor
> fs corruption on reboot (and major corruption on
> umsdos and the like)
^^^^^^
My MSDOS FAT system was in fact UMSDOS mounted, and I most
certainly had massive corruption as you describe.

>- since you can't swapoff() the deleted file, you
> can't reclaim the disk space
>
>This basically means that we have a real problem at
>hand that should be fixed.

Well, only to be technically correct and perfect I suppose, but
does anyone really still use MSDOS/UMSDOS filesystems for
anything under Linux? I mean, I have MSDOS mounted rw for data
sharing and DOSEMU access, but not for storing any Linux stuff
on. Before I had UMSDOS for extra Linux space in a limited
system setting.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net