Re: Severe IDE BM-DMA problems.

Matthias Andree (mandree@sx1.HRZ.Uni-Dortmund.DE)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 15:13:21 +0100

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 11:18:00PM -0600, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
> I have noted that Award Bios based mainboards do not load the add-on bios;
> however, most AMI based mainboards do this correctly.

Award BIOS does not support bus mastering DMA for IDE drives, it always
does PIO 4 with those (Ultra) DMA capable drives. (Which is of no
wonder since UDMA for DOS seems not to be all that important to the
Award programmers; Windows NT/95 often are supported with IDE bus master
drivers from the chipset or mainboard manufacturers, e. g. VIA
(http://www.via.com.tw) for VP2, VP3, MVP3 and probably others)

--
Matthias Andree