Re: Suggestion for /proc/net/dev: Additional field "Bandwidth"

Matthias Welwarsky (matze@stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de)
Sat, 07 Nov 1998 17:53:35 +0100

Alan Cox wrote:

> > This is my suggestion: add a field Bandwidth (max bytes/sec) to
> > /proc/net/dev. It shouldn't be too hard (I guess), and it's a very
> > relevant attribute of an interface, especially when interfaces can
> > operate in both 100Mbit and 10Mbit.
>
> Why does the kernel need to care. Surely bandwidth is something the user
> side should configure - in fact only user space (chat in paticular) knows
> the negotiated modem speed

for packet scheduling? for realtime protocols it might be quite handy to
know actually how long a packet needs to be shoven out of the
transmitter. not thinking of half duplex ethernet, of course.

Gruss,
Matthias