Re: timeouts with ncr53c8xx

Hans-Frieder Vogt (vogt@ila.uni-stuttgart.de)
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 23:25:42 +0100

Richard Gooch writes:
> > > CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX=y
> > > CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=8
> > > CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=4
> >
> > A default value of 8 for a max value of 4 for the same thing is
> > bogus.
>
> Hm. I think this is an artefact of using make oldconfig: originally
> there was the MAX_TAGS option IIRC and I took the default value of
> 4. Later the DEFAULT_TAGS option came along and I took the default
> again. Since that new option came first, I didn't realise there was an
> inconsistency. Once I selected the default for the new option,
> make oldconfig would zoom past the MAX_TAGS option.

I also had an old .config file and the same values.
After I changed CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS to 32 (as proposed) the driver
3.1a worked FINE :) (tested with pre-patch 2.1.127-7)
I think, the reason why the previous driver 3.0i worked and 3.1a did not (with
the mentioned configuration parameters), is because 3.1a uses a field cb_tags
of exactly the size of MAX_TAGS, while 3.0i used a size of at least 32! So data
was corrupted, and I wonder why only timeouts were the result of this
corruption.

Sorry, Gerard, for the lot of fuss I initiated.

Regards,

Hans-Frieder

Hans-Frieder Vogt                 e-mail: vogt@ila.uni-stuttgart.de
Institut f"ur Luftfahrtantriebe   tel   : +49 (711) 685-3522
Universit"at Stuttgart
Pfaffenwaldring 6
D-70569 Stuttgart, Germany