Re: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 03:06:03 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Khimenko Victor wrote:
>
> >Just standard US SUPER-EGOISM. You could have russian text in HTML/WP/WORD.

[skipped]

> Correct. My statements of ASCII could have been clearer. I
> generalized too much. MIME 8 bit is certainly a widely accepted
> standard, and I accept it as well. Russian and other languages
> may easily work in email thus. HTML is not necessary.
>
> So, I think I wasn't clear in the first place, and I'm sure we
> agree more than you thought.

Cyrillic works perfectly with MIME 8 bit (I am Russian, so I know), but
a lot of software still sticks to old standards that required BASE64 or
Quoted-printable -- what a nuisance! Of course, HTML doesn't offer
anything over MIME because <META HTTP_EQUIV=...> is a kludge made to
replace HTTP header, and in this case in place where it's actually MIME
header Content-Type, something that MUA should take care about.

Of course, if someone dares to send me email in CP-1251, he should
better do it in HTML or, better, MS Word -- if he wants to deeply insult
me, he better should do it all the way.

For non-Russians: CP-1251 is a version of cyrillic charset, native to
MS Windows. The only charset, accepted in Russia for email, even between
systems that have other native charset, is koi8-r. DOS-based systems use
"Alternative" or CP-866 charset because it leaves place for IBM
pseudographics, however in email it's always converted to koi8-r --
all Russian email software was designed that way, and it was our great
standards-defining friend Microsoft who broken that tradition first. It
worth to be mentioned that CP-1251 is not the same as CP-866, however in
its great tradition of creating problems where noone had a problem before
Microsoft uses CP-866 for filenames on disks (except where they are in
Unicode) and displays them as CP-1251 in applications, using Unicode as an
intermediate format. So much for "internationalization" (мать их за ногу).

--
Alex