Re: DLEDFORD IS GREAT

Doug Ledford (dledford@redhat.com)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 21:08:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 07, 1998 at 12:47:59AM +0100, Ricardo Galli Granada wrote:
> > > According to Hallowen II, 80% of the PCs have an adaptec. So, 80% of Linux
> > > users are happy last days with new adaptec drivers from Doug.
> >
> > *sigh* why are they spending so much money on SCSI adapters while good
> > NCR/Symbios (53C8xx) solutions are in many cases slightly faster, have
> > better Linux support... but that's not my topic.
>
> Speaking about quantity of resources for 53c8xx Linux support, that's
> probably no more true and perhaps haven't been ever true.
> Only speaking for my modest contribution to Linux, it is authentic free
> software developped in my free time and not gratis commercial software.
> My boss pay me for developping commercial software that is developped
> under Linux but targetted to commercial platforms and he sells this
> software, but Linux hacking happens at home.

Ummm...wording this the way you did makes it sound as though the aic7xxx
driver has been commercially developed. It never has. My work has been a
matter of free-time investment all along with the exception of the last
few days where I worked on company time to get this done. When I was at
DialNet, I was on call 24x7 for 2 years and 10 months straight with only 2
real breaks, one for ALS in 97 and one for linux expo in 98. I did my
aic7xxx driver work whenever I could. When you are on call and expected
to fix whatever problems 24x7, you can't really draw a line between
"free-time at home" and "work". Especially when you worked from home
anyway.