Re: A patch for linux 2.1.127

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:21:39 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Richard Henderson wrote:

> Unfortunately, those patches are way too massive to go back to the
> 1.1 branch. For that I don't really know what to do.

How about something simple like:

if (SMALL_REGISTER_SET)
never_inline_functions_unless_the_user_asked_for_it();

which means that even with -O6 you would not inline functions unless they
were marked inline.

Note that this is not just a workaround for a bug. The fact is, that with
small-register-set, inlining functions is not likely to be all that big of
a win (and is often a loss due to register allocation pressure) unless the
function is _really_ small or for some special cases - and in both cases
hopefully the function is marked inline already by the knowledgeable user.

Linus