Re: DVD RAM disk detected as CDROM.

Mon, 9 Nov 1998 14:09:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My DVD-RAM drive is detected as a CDROM:
>
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
> Vendor: CREATIVE Model: DVD-RAM RAM1220S Rev: A108
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> Which means I can't write to it.
>
> I applied a patch yesterday which makes an exception for
> "CREATIVE/DVD-RAM/CDROM" to make that into a harddisk. This works just
> fine. (Ok, I applied another patch to make stuff work with 2048 byte
> sector size).
>
> Anyway, Why is there a distinction (i.e. a whole different driver "sr"
> next to "sd") between harddisk/cdrom? It seems that this CDROM drive
> works just fine with the "sd" driver. If that would hold for all CDROM
> drives, I'd personally prefer having a "flags" variable that says
> wether or not to allow writes (e.g.: don't allow writes to CDROMs),
> and wether or not to allow the CDROM specific (e.g. Play audio) IOctls.
>
> Creative probably made it look like a CDROM drive, because they wanted
> compatibility with older CDROM device drivers. Is this just a case of
> "Creative messed up", or are there secondary attributes that would
> allow us to reliably detect these devices? Or is there an assigned
> number for DVD RAM drives? I remember that early CD-writers had the
> same problem: They identified "for compatibility reasons" themselves
> as a CDROM drive. But the spec has a specific ID for "write once"
> devices, so that was plainly wrong. Is there an obviously correct
> assignment for DVD-RAMs?
>

> Regards,
>

> Roger.

You just hit the nail directly on the head. We have writable CD-ROMS
which I wanted to use as a hard disks also without even the ISO9660 fs
that gets forced upon us. I made an ugly patch to my BusLogic adapter
driver so I could use it as a disk. Works fine. It takes a long time
to write to it, but once written, it makes a fine bootable fs.

It would be real nice if there was some way to pass a parameter to
the driver to tell it that writes to CDROMs can be tried.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.127 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).