Re: why umsdos?

Matija Nalis (mnalis@public.srce.hr)
Mon, 9 Nov 98 20:03 MET

On 8 Nov 1998 16:14:54 GMT, Aaron Denney <wnoise@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Horvath Akos <maxx@yuc.sch.bme.hu> wrote:
>> Five reasons to not to use this:
>
>[loopback ext2 filesystem in file on msdos partition]
>
>> - You can not resize an ext2fs image - repartitioning is better, because
>> FIPS, presizer or Partition Magic can resize msdos partitions
>
>No, you can't resize it, but you can copy it to a bigger file.

Yes. But then you need 2*ORIGINAL_SPACE + ADDITIONAL_SPACE to be able to do
it, and quite some time to do the copy. If you had so much free space in the
first place, you could just create one partition with ext2 and one partition
with MSDOS and have no problems...

>> - You can not read az ext2fs image from dos
>There are actually drivers for it, as well as an mtools alike.

Yes. Not for normal disk use, AFAIK (for DOS. I've seen something simular
for Win95, but if you had win95 you would be running vfat/uvfat anyway...)

>> I think, a general ums-like pseudo-ext2-fs over not only umsdos, but all
>> non unix-compatible fs were very good and useful for the linux community.
>
>So would making sure loopback mounts worked on everything.

.. AND having ext2 transparent_fs_drivers for _everything_.
Little harder to do.

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.