Re: FreeBSD & Linux [./fork 500 totally hangs my machine 2.1.127]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
10 Nov 1998 07:20:24 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.981109200116.1058A-100000@z.ml.org>,
Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org> wrote:

>I ran it on a 2.0 system with QNX schedular patch. It did 254 in 0
>seconds.. I then tried 10000 and it killed init.. :)
>
>Damn.. The box had like 150days uptime.

What _is_ it with people who run other peoples C programs as root
without looking deeply into what they do? I'm surprised you had an
uptime that big ;)

Now, the obvious thing to do was to test it as a normal user: never
_ever_ test as root unless you have to.

And if you tested as a normal user first and wondered why it kicked you
out to the login prompt, the first reaction should _not_ be "Oh, cool, I
wonder what that does if I run it as root" ;)

Linus