Re: dying samba mounts

Bill Hawes (whawes@transmeta.com)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 08:02:04 -0800

Hannu Koivisto wrote:

> Now, with 2.1.125/x86 and smbfsx 1.9.18p10 (from Debian), the
> problem is still there. I realized I can unmount the samba
> mounts with plain umount, so I experimented a bit more. The
> machine I mount shares from is an NT 4.0SP3 box and it's still
> the same story: I can use those mounts fine for some time, but
> then the smbmount that was left on background says it got a
> signal, tries to get a new socket and then tries to ask password
> (sometimes I manage to give it, but usually the tty is pretty
> messed up).
>
> I don't know whether this is a problem with smbmount or the
> kernel, but I guess kernel has something to do with this because
> at the time of death I get this to kernel log:
> """
> kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
> last message repeated 3 times
> """
> I have gotten some other messages too like "smb_trans2_request:
> result=-32, setting invalid", but they don't correlate with
> those death cases.

Getting the "signal failed" message means that your smbmount process has
apparently died.

The "smb_trans2_request ..." message indicates that the connection to the
server has been closed, so smbfs must reestablish the connection. It does
this by sending a signal to the smbmount process, which normally reopens the
connection immediately.

My guess is that you have your security options require a password, and if
this fails the smbmount process is terminating. Try changing your mount
command to include a password, or change the samba options to not require
one.

Regards,
Bill