Re: Linux-2.1.127

menion (menion@mindless.com)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 16:00:07 +0000

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ok,
> after two fairly hectic weeks for me, 2.1.127 is finally out there.

I finally got 2.1.127 compiled. It is running on 2 of my machins so
far. The two that it runs one, 1 with an [firewall box] Adaptec 2940UW,
100% SCSI System. The Second is a IDE + SCSI. (Buslogic 948?) They
work great. I notice this morning that the firewall box is running
_fast_. The changes to the memory code appear to be benefitting me
heavily. X was not swapped out at all [I guess] because it only took
about 2 seconds to start Netscape. (If that). Normally this takes about
10 - 30 seconds, as things unswap [apparently]. However, Netscape
opened, then my additional windows (mail & history) popped up with 0
delay. (Normally 2-5 seconds a peice). I have not seen this system run
this well yet!

I have one system that is fruity, and I saw a bug report earlier.
Someone else with an Adaptec 2940, and the 5.1.4 driver could not boot
with an IDE/SCSI system (I beleive). It seems to be similar to this

IDE (SiS Chipset)
Adaptec 2940U
64M Dimm
K6-233
Sound Blaster

It gets to 'Loading' and freezes. I can hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and it the
system reboots.
Last time that I reported this I got a rather nasty note informing me,
that in fact, this
was a lilo problem. if this is lilo, then it is not just a lilo
problem. All of my systems did this with 2.1.126,
and pre-127's. I have compiled with gcc 2.8.1, and egcs 1.1 (default
redhat dist), no effect.
I am still working on this problem, but any tips would be appreciated.

thanks,
Joshua