Re: [SMP] P2 Database Srvr: 1x450 or 2x350 CPUs?

Richard Fish (rjf@estinc.com)
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:14:58 -0700

Jeff Noxon wrote:

> I'm setting up a Debian box for my client as an Oracle server. I'm torn
> between Dual 350's or a single 450 MHz chip. The price is the same.
> The machine will have 256MB of RAM and a 16MB RAID-5 controller (either
> Mylex or AMI), and four Cheetah 9GB drives.
>
> Linux kernel will probably be 2.0.36pre, at least until 2.2.x is solid
> enough for production use. Our other Linux server had a 450-day uptime
> and I'd like this one to be just as stable, if not better. :-)

We'll, thinking long-term, I would probably go with the single 450. It
gives you a nice upgrade path when you switch to the 2.2 kernel.

--
Richard Fish                      Enhanced Software Technologies, Inc.
Software Developer                4014 E Broadway Rd Suite 405