Re: New Solaris 7 features

kwrohrer@ce.mediaone.net
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 10:56:48 -0600 (EST)

And lo, Mailing List Account saith unto me:

> On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 11:26:19PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
> > : Whooo they've finally _10 years after asking_ got traceroute ;)
> >
> > Yeah, they had to shit traceroute now that we have mtr, a nicer
> > replacement.
>
> I would think with tens of paid developers and a reasonable budget,
> sun could be catching up more quickly... but it doesn't seem that
> way.

The resources Sun allocates to do miscellaneous tool support pretty
much just suck. Solaris "patch", for instance, can't handle slashes
in filenames, and IIRC can't even handle patches to multiple different
files; their diff is incapable of applying any sort of patch. Why
didn't they just snag Larry Wall's patch and GNU diffutils?

Keith

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com     |"Zooty,
it is too late for the pebbles to   |KDE:   http://www.kde.org         | zoot