Re: NCR53C8XX fix against default_tags > MAX_TAGS

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:04:46 +1100

Gerard Roudier writes:
> The attached patch should fix ncr53c8xx-3.1a driver misbehaviour when the
> number of configured tags for a device is larger than the maximum
> configured for the driver.
>
> Using #ifXXX stuff was not enough to fix this problem, since the device
> queue depths are configurable from the boot command line using something
> like:
> ncr53c8xx=tags:16/t3q5-t4q12/t0q14
> The fix is just some checks against driver tags capacity performed at
> run-time.
[...]
> Since it has been proven that my personal tests are far from
> guaranteeing things are good enough for the kernel main-stream,
> could you, please, give this patch a try by forcing misconfigs
> statically and dynamically from the boot command line and let me
> know if you have experienced problems. You may want to use private
> emails or just send a copy to the linux-scsi list if you think your
> report is to be shared.

You patch fixes the problem for me. Config:
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=8
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=4
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=20
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_PROFILE is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_IOMAPPED is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYMBIOS_COMPAT is not set

Thanks.

Regards,

Richard....