RE: Linux Splash Screen

Jim Woodward (jim@jim.southcom.com.au)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:28:13 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Riley Williams wrote:

> How about doing it the way that RedHat's install does...have a
> graphical display on the default display, and the boot messages hidden
> on tty2 or the like - press ALT-F2 to display them as per standard...
>
> Best wishes from Riley.

Or the way io think HP/UX does, with a translucent linux logo behind the
bootup text..

im not sure hwo practical this would be.. and maybe it'd add too much
to the kernel size, then again if yer using a low colour 16 colour or 256
colour logo or something then it may work.. and then maybe make a piece of
code that doesnt show it on a video card that is les sthan VGA
(i know people who are using MDA and EGA cards in servers, just because
they only need a text based interface)

anyway.. just my 2cents..
If such an idea didnt take off it wouldnt really bother me..
linux is a nighty fine OS without the pretty bootup..
at least the bootup is informative :)

Regards, Jim.

__ name: james woodward (jim)
/ . _ _ email: jim@jim.southcom.com.au, jim@woodward.southcom.com.au