Re: 1.2.127: NCR53c875 woes (was Re: Linux-2.1.127)

Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:12:01 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, Thomas Quinot wrote:

> Le 1998-11-11, thomas écrivait :
>
> > I get lots of SCSI timeouts on my 53C875 that I did not get with
> > 125. The 53C810 is OK.
>
> Please disregard this report. Setting MAX_TAGS to 32 as it should
> be solved the problem.

You configuration change did indeed fix the problem, but the problem you
have had is a driver bug that is hopefully fixed in 3.1b version. The
patch has been sent a couple of days ago to list for testing and is
available at:

ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/roudier/ncr53c8xx-3.1a-to-3.1b-for-linux-2.1.127.patch.gz

If fact, all driver 3.xx are confused when the number of configured tags
for a device is greater than the maximum the driver can handle.
Until 3.0i the driver used 32 if MAX_TAGS <= 32 and 64 if MAX_TAGS > 32.
Driver 3.1a uses exactly MAX_TAGS.

For the DC390-U/F/W, the driver reads the number of tags for each device
for the NVRAM, so:
If a device is configured with more tags than the MAX_TAGS value, then the
driver will fail miserably.
My guess is that one device was configured for 32 tags and that the
configured maximum value of tags for the driver was less than 32.

Could you update the driver to 3.1b, then boot your system using your
previous kernel configuration that failed and let me know if driver 3.1b
fixes the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Gerard.