Re: elevator algorithm bug in ll_rw_blk.c

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:32:00 +1300

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 11:37:43PM +0000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> <Wolfgang.Oertl@uibk.ac.at> said:
>
> > as v2.2 is expected soon I better bring this topic up now. As you
> > know the "elevator algorihm" is employed for disk I/O, but -- it
> > *looks* broken to me.
>
> It isn't!

How long has it not been broken for?

I ask this because back aroun 2.1.26 I made a small char device which
allowed to to log and then dump the sequences of disk update produced
during a `sync' operation.

Anyhow, the net result of this was that they were not optimally
order, not even close.

-cw