Re: Dropped frames in video capture process

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
13 Nov 1998 02:13:46 GMT

Followup to: <19981113115139.A32481@caffeine.ix.net.nz>
By author: Chris Wedgwood <chris@cybernet.co.nz>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 11:25:47PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Intel SMP runs lockstep off the same clock, and we actually rely on
> > that in kernel right now
>
> so both clocks are always in sync? Normally I would assume they are,
> but we can trivially make them far apart (set the lower 32-bits of
> the current tsc to ~0 or somesuch).
>
> still, if we play those games and things break, we only have
> ourselves to blame...

Right. Note that only the kernel can write to the TSC anyway; and has
no reason to do so.

-hpa

--
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key