Re: e2fsck...

David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:43:22 -0800 (PST)

for those who joined this discussion late, here are more details on the
network appliance snapshot capability that we are talking about emulating
(this duplicates some messages taht were sent a couple of weeks ago)

The Network appliance filers have a "snapshot" capability that works
somewhat similar to the following

1. when you take a snapshot the system makes a copy of all the inodes.

2. when a file is changed, the old inode and the block it points to are
left alone, the data is copied from the old block to a new block (with the
changes) and the current inode set is updated to match

the process of taking a snapshot is very fast and one it is taken the data
can be retreived as it existed at that time until the snapshot is deleted.
(the backup procedure for the network appliance takes a snapshot, backs it
up then deletes the snapshot)

This all happens on the same partition (although you can reserve some
space for snapshots, similar to how some disk space is reserved for root)

David Lang