Re: ..12[78]...

menion (menion@mindless.com)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 19:11:36 +0000

menion wrote:

> Good day.
>
> I have been having the same problem with 2.1.127, and 8. I have 3
> servers that I use oin a regular basis. 1 pentium pro, 1 K6-233, and 1
> 486. The PPro is 100% SCSI, as is the 486. The K6 is IDE Based, with
> some scsi additions. The Ppro uses an Adaptec 2940UW, the 486 has a
> 2842, and the K6 has a 2940U.
>
> The last kernel that booted on the K6 was 2.1.125. I have not been
> able to make 2.1.127 or 8 work on there. At first it locked up at
> Uncompressing Kernel, and boot Linux' ( I think thats the first line).
> The video mode successfully changes to 50 lines, and it hangs. Nothing
> more.
>
> K6 System:
>
> 64Meg Ram
> SiS IDE Chipset (5513?)
> S3 Video (DX/GX)
> hda: 1.6gig (/dev/ide/hd/c0b0t0u0)
> hdc: 1.0gig (/dev/ide/hd/c0b1t0u0)
> hdd: 540Meg (/dev/ide/hd/c0b1t1u0) - Emergeny Bootable Linux Partition
> sda: IBM 4gig Ultra.
> sr0: Sony SCSI CD 4x.
> SoundBlaster 16
> SMC PCI Nic
> USR 56k
>
> Kernel Info:
> virgin 2.1.128+devfs v77
> Complied as a PPRo/K6/Whatever (proc selection) I don't think it
> matters, butI am recompiling for Pentium (as I am writing)
> IP Routing/Masq/etc
> AIC Support, IDE Support, Sound blaster built in.
I am using gcc 2.8.1 - and I can get the kernel running if I optimize it
for a Pentium (However, response time seems to be down ???) If I
compile it for a PPRO/K6/ the kernel will not boot. Here are the
[faulty?] compiler options:
-O2 -mpentiumpro -march=pentiumpro -mcpu=pentiumpro

Is it possible that the arch=pentiumpro is causing difficulty, because
the arch is actually a pentium on that system? In any event..I am
running... thus, I am happy.

=).

Thanks,

Joshua