Re: New Solaris 7 features

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 10:58:29 -0400

Boris Tobotras <tobotras@jet.msk.su> said:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:38:24 +1300, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> > P.S. If we just assume all filenames are UTF-8, will that break any
> > existing applications or uses out there?

> Of course it will. Many people use symbols of
> their national languages in filenames, and those are definitely not
> Unicode. That's why we now have knowledge of various code pages built in
> kernel...

If the same kernel put them there coded in UTF-8, I can't see how... Sure,
if the filesystem is foreign (VFAT, NTFS, whatever) you have to adapt to
the way they do it.

Or am I missing something?

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616