Re: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)

Ragnar Hojland Espinosa (ragnar@redestb.es)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 00:03:54 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> stated it wrong, just like almost everyone does! Moores law says that
> circuit density doubles every 18 months, not that speed doubles every 18
> months :-(.

Oh! Thanks for the clarification, I was indeed mistaken there.

> So 30% speed increase would amount to 8 months hardware lead in speed.
> I don't think that's worth it. I also don't think we ought to rewrite

Okay, having to rewrite everything every 8 months is a waste of
effort and time. But, unless I'm overseeing something, shouldn't the
optimizations carry across hardware speed increases? The only moment when
you should have to add more assembly would be when supporting a new
architecture or chip..

--
____/|  Ragnar Hojland  (ragnar@lightside.ddns.org)      Fingerprint  94C4B