Re: new processes very slow on otherwise responsive system (2.1.127 and 128)

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:32:19 -0500 (EST)

Jamie Lokier enscribed thusly:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 11:18:38AM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > My personal WAG (Wild Ass Guess) is that something got changed
> > from 2.1.127pre2 to 2.1.127pre3 that blew gcc up when compiling with
> > SMP commented out. It got "fixed" between 2.1.127pre3 and 2.1.127pre7
> > either deliberately or incidentally. I suspect that it didn't get
> > fixed "right". It compiled once again, but something is still broken.

> Let me add, for the record, that I'm running 2.1.127 UP with none of
> these problems. Built with egcs-1.0.2, PPro optimisation specified in
> kernel config.

> Just in case you'd like to pin it down to a particular faulty compiler.

Unlikely to be a faulty compiler. We've had reports of several
different compilers at this point. Plenty of people has said that they
are not experiencing problems with the 127/128 flu. It's very possible that
some combination of drivers, load, interrupts, or swapping is contributing
to the problem. I've got one system which fails and one which doesn't and
their both RedHat 5.1 systems. One is a web server and mail server (the
one that fails) while the other is my office system and has twice the
memory (swapping?). In any case, the problem has now been reproduced by
those who are trying to fix it...

Thanks!

> -- Jamie

Mike