Problem with 2.1.128 and GCC (was: Re: scheduler bigpatch for 2.1.128)

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 20:15:28 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Greg Patterson wrote:

> gcc version 2.7.2.3
> ldd: version 1.9.9
> /lib/libc.so.5.4.44*
> mount: mount-2.7l
>
> > I am using mount-2.8a with glibc2.0.6 and egcs-1.0.3a.
>
> I have egcs installed but I never use it for Linux kernels. Ussually just
> for user-space tools. I do not have glibc installed at all.

How does the kernel work when compiled wich egcs?

> > Does explicitly mounting /proc work?
>
> Nope, it hangs indefinitely. Someone else also reported having the same
> problem as me when I reported this last time I tried it. Can you try
> compiling your kernel with gcc?

I don't have GCC installed on my machine, nor do I have
much time to hunt down the exact error :(

All I know is that my glibc-2.0.6 system with mount-2.8a,
egcs-1.0.3a and ld-2.9.1 works flawlessly with 2.1.128.
Maybe one of the lowlevel folks knows what changed?

cheers,

Rik -- slowly getting used to dvorak kbd layout...