Re: new processes very slow on otherwise responsive system (2.1.

Ben McCann (bmccann@indusriver.com)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:24:51 -0500

Alas, I am using EGCS 1.0.1 to compile 2.1.128ac2 and I _have_
seen it get into 'slow motion' mode. I don't think it is the
compiler.

I posted yesterday that Alan's 128ac2 patch seemed to fix the
problem on my IDE 200MMX but I was _wrong_. It locked up on me
last night while shutting down. It was responsive but not making
forward progress. 'init' and two shell processes shutting down
the LPD were stuck running. I had to reset it....

-Ben McCann

Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Jim Bauer wrote:
>
> > I tried several different things to track down this problem.
> > My results are posted below.
> >
> > This is with 2.1.127 non-SMP compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3
> ^^^^^^^^^^^
> Maybe this is the thing the promlematic systems have in
> common, or the fact that they're running libc5 (although
> I don't know what that could have to do with it)...
>
> I know my standard egcs/glibc has not seen any problems
> like this (and that egcs/glibc is a bit of a standard)
> and that a lot of people haven't been able to generate
> the error themselves.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rik -- slowly getting used to dvorak kbd layout...

Ben McCann                              Indus River Networks
                                        31 Nagog Park
                                        Acton, MA, 01720
email: bmccann@indusriver.com           web: www.indusriver.com
phone: (978) 266-8140                   fax: (978) 266-8111