Re: Sound still broken but has improved a bit.

Jim Woodward (jim@jim.southcom.com.au)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 23:23:29 +1100 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Michel Catudal wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:

> This reminds me of Microsoft's behavior. Just look at the
> programs that no longer works with winblows 98.
>
> You're heading in the same direction ...
>
> The ones hurt is the Linux community not Real Audio.

I think its good that bugs are fixed..
things need to be, otherwise we'd never go anywhere..
We'd be in Microsofts situation with backwards compatability clogging up
everything.

To evolve, you do have to sometimes sacrifice compatability with older,
broken software for newer, more powerful enhancments..
if we left the option for "old compatability mode" for everything that was
broken, then we'd have a kenrel 70meg in size :)

if we didnt wanna move forward we'd all be still using libc4 based
linux systems :)

basically, we dont wanna make mistakes like Microsoft have, which theyre
still suffering.

Regards, Jim.

__ name: james woodward (jim)
/ . _ _ email: jim@jim.southcom.com.au, jim@woodward.southcom.com.au