Re: How can I test the SMP ?

Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:20:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, li qi cheng wrote:

> Any body having played with SMP ?
> We have a two P2-330 cpu SMP with 128M RAM, runing kernel 2.0.25. How can
> I know that the linux was using the two CPU not one? And how can I test
> how effection it is?
>
> Li Qicheng

Hi Li,

number one, do:

cat /proc/cpuinfo

you should see both cpu's listed.

secondly to test the "real-world" effect.. start up a couple of cpu
intensive programmes, one should run mainly on one cpu, the other mainly
on the other cpu.

For a single process to take advantage of SMP it must be written with
threads, ie concurrent paths through the code.

eg try comparing the speed of an OpenGL programme linked to a normal Mesa
OpenGL rendering library, against the same OpenGL programme linked against
Mesa compiled with threads..

regards,

--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie