Re: what is module ppp-compress-26?

Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:53:59 -0600 (CST)

On 18-Nov-98 Shawn McNabb wrote:
> Try slhc.o. I had the same problem with ppp-compress-21 and
> ppp-compress-24. I found their aliases from another newsgroup (sorry --
> I can't remember where).

Eek! I just did a search on Dejanews to see what the responses to
this question have been in the past...the answers have been all over
the board -- many of them wrong.

> This is what I put in my /etc/conf.modules. The only other module left
> in /lib/modules/2.1.127/net/ was slhc.o so......
>
> alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
> alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
> alias ppp-compress-26 slhc

It's not slhc -- slhc is a dependency of PPP. I dont think you
can load the ppp module w/o slhc being in there first...so there
wouldnt be any need to alias it.

ppp-compress-26 is *ALSO* ppp_deflate

It seems that when pppd was implemented they used the number 26...
but once the standard was "finalized" (put into the PPP RFC), they
changed it to 26.

For completeness, you could also have:

alias ppp-compress-1 off # Predictor-1, not yet supported

Really you could put anything there...you could put the joystick
driver there if you wanted to...all it would do is load the module, it
wouldnt try to make it work.

Given the variant answers to this question, this really ought to be
addressed in the /usr/src/linux/Documentation directory AND/OR in
the PPP-HOWTO...and so far it hasn't been, in either place. Even so
it is just a minor issue -- PPP will work fine w/o these being set.

Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com