Re: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:45:55 +0100

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 10:05:53PM +0100, Rik van Riel wrote:
> But I agree that we really should be working on gcc/egcs
> to:
> - - add machine descriptions for AMD/Rise/Cyrix/Centaur/etc.
> so the compiler can choose the proper instructions on the
> proper chip (different cost for operands on different chips)

No, its no good to write extra machine descriptions for these, as they are
basically x86 machines. The x86 backend, though, will be (and already is
being) reworked.

egcs already has, and future gcc versions will, too, have -mk6 and -march=k6
switches.

> - - have the compiler do more efficient multipipelining, this
> will be especially useful for the Rise chip

work in progres, look at latest egcs.

> - - replace one expensive opcode by multiple (parallelizible)
> cheap ones when useful (-frisc for pgcc???)

yes, being worked on ;)

> - - make egcs do better instruction scheduling by avoiding
> unneeded branches and/or doing predicative branching
> (a'la Merced) in software (if it's worth it at all:-)

egcs already can take limited advantage of profile data, for example, and it
is thought about giving the compiler enough intelligence (and assistance) to
optimize fast paths without goto.

The choice of a GNU generation |