Re: Samba mounts?

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:39:07 -0500 (EST)

Khimenko Victor enscribed thusly:
> 17-Nov-98 17:21 you wrote:
> > Forgive me for asking such a newbie question, but I couldn't find anything in
> > Documentation/Changes.txt and Documentation/filesystem/smbfs.txt
>
> > I have a RedHat 5.2 Intel machine, and booted with a 2.1.128. Although I have
> > all the programs Changes.txt says I need, I can't seem to mount an SMB volume
> > from an NT server. When I do, in /var/log/messages I see the message
> > SMBFS: need mount version 6
> > Well, I have the smbfs-2.0.1 rpm, and samba-1.9.18p10-3 rpm, and mount version
> > 2.8a. What do I have to do to get mount version 6?

> Recompile samba :-)) smbmount "version 6" is included in latest versions of
> samba (AFAIK 1.9.18pl10 is new enough) but of course is not included in RedHat
> rpm (it's not compatible with 2.0.x kernels :-)

No... It probably is not... I don't think the glibc fixes made
it into the source tree prior to the 2.0 alpha branch. That's when I got
my commit priviledges and commited them in myself. I could be wrong, but
I think the 1.9.18 sources will blow sky high on the RedHat 5.x glibc
headers...

I also fixed an annoying timing error in smbmount in the 2.0 sources
that really screws with autofs. 2.0 Beta has now been released, go with it.

> > Just for the hell of it, I changed SMB_MOUNT_VERSION to 5 in smb_mount.h, and
> > recompiled and rebooted, but now when I try to mount the smbmount it appears
> > to succeed, but then I get
> > smb_retry: no connection process
> > seconds later.

> > Thank you for not flaming the hell out of me - I used to follow bleeding edge
> > kernels (0.99pl14a-?, for example) but I haven't for a while.

Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/