Re: unexpected paging during large file reads in 2.1.127

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
19 Nov 1998 06:34:19 GMT

In article <87lnlb5d2t.fsf@atlas.CARNet.hr>,
Zlatko Calusic <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr> wrote:

>I must agree entirely, because with small patch you can find below,
>performance is very very good. Thanks to marking readahead pages as
>referenced, I've been able to see exact behaviour that I wanted for a
>long time.

Ehh?

Linux already marks pages referenced when it does read-ahead. Look in
"add_to_page_cache()", which does this as a part of adding the page to
the global page cache hash queues.

So if this patch makes a difference, it must be for some other reason
than marking the read-ahead page referenced.

I'd still be interested to know _which_ part of the patch makes such a
big difference to you. I suspect the only part that _could_ make a
difference is the count_max/count_min changes (which may well make a ton
of sense, the reason why those counts were elevated at one point no
longer exists).

Linus