Re: A patch for FAT & VFAT

Alex P. Madarasz, Jr. (madarasz@erols.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 06:52:58 -0500

Khimenko Victor wrote on 18 Nov 98, 21:40 :
> 17-Nov-98 20:16 you wrote:
> > e.g. umlauts]. And as I know in VFAT the first letter is shown as
> > uppercase [in flying windozer..]. [but you may type them as you wish..]
>
> ONLY explorer will show first letter as uppercase under Windows 9x and all
> letters small under Windows NT. Far (ftp://ftp.creabel.com/pub/far) and
> Netscape, for example, will show all letters big under Windows 9x and all
> letters small under Windows NT -- I'm know this as windows developer :-)
> This is REALLY annoying to have the same file under three different names
> :-((( Especially in Netscape (in Netscape "Z" < "a" :-))
>
> P.S. I'm talk NOT about File->Open Page in Netscape but about
> autogenerated index for directories (something like file:///d|/ as URL --
> you'll see "WINDOWS" in Windows 9x and "windows" in Windows NT is you have
> dual boot system like I am). Now Linux carefully follows Windows NT style.
> Since NT was FIRST OS with VFAT support Linux do the "right thing" and
> NetBSD and Windows 95 do the wrong thing. Still options could help
> someone. Just not remove old behaviour!

The propensity of various Win32 tools to mangle file names for you (I've always
called it "pseudo-proper" filename displaying) is either wrong (because it's
hard-coded into the tool by the mfr in order to mimic MS's original bad
behavior) or can be disabled. [ MS's logic here was, as usual, a rather
infantile case of mis-applied "human factors" - assuming that any filename
which is short enough to fit the 8.3 pattern you must be all uppercase and thus
Explorer should "fix" it for you before it's displayed. ]

To turn off Explorer's stupid behavior, get the TweakUI tool from MS's Web site
(or your Win98 CD), install it (it becomes a Control Panel applet), run it, and
(e.g., for Win98) select the Explorer tab and uncheck "Adjust case of 8.3
filenames".

--
Alex P. Madarasz, Jr.  --  madarasz@erols.com