Re: Schedule idle

Dale E. Martin (dmartin@clifton-labs.com)
19 Nov 1998 08:32:10 -0500

David Feuer <feuer@his.com> writes:

> What do you mean by 5% of the CPU? It sounds to me like Linux could use
> a nice 20...... still some tiny overhead for scheduling, but I'm guessing
> not more than sysload polling.....

It's not just the CPU load - it's also the other resources. You have to
bring pages in and out, do I/O, etc.

"loadwatch" allows you to set the frequency of polling of the system load.
I can assure you that parsing /proc/uptime every 5-10 seconds doesn't place
too much of a burden on your system.

We can continue this discussion offline if you like - it's becoming a
little like an advocacy thing.

--
| Dale E. Martin |  Clifton Labs, Inc.  |  Senior Computer Engineer    |