RE: fs inode lookup

Lyle Seaman (lyle@stormsystems.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 12:24:12 -0500

The 4-tuples are CellID, Volume#, Vnode#, and Generation#.
Each is 32 bits, though some are not likely to ever use the
entire 32-bit space (CellID and Vnode#).

Given a dentry, you'd actually have to perform a "pioctl"
(AFS-specific system call) which turns into an RPC if the
item isn't already cached.

Which is too bad, since the AFS client already has the
entire FID in the internal representation of the parent directory.