Re: matroxfb problems with 129pre6 and G200 (8meg)

CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 03:20:16 +1100 (EST)

CaT wrote the following:

> Hi,
>
> Upon upgrading to 128pre4 I decided to experiment a little and in
> this experimenation i discovered the framebuffer code (never used
> it before because well, framebuffer meant something else to me :).
> Currently I am using 129pre6.
>
> Anyways, onto the point. I have an 8meg G200 (which I'm using at
> 1280x1024) and a PII-350 (not overclocked. I feel satisfied with
> that speed... for now :) and I am having a couple of hassles
> with the fb code.
>
> 1. I can't find a way to increase the refresh rate of the screen
> above 60. I'd like it at 85 preferably and the vf/vh options
> don't seem to do it. Not being able to do this really screws
> with my eyes.
> 2. When using zgv to view a picture (not that it gets the size
> right...) in svgalib's VESA mode there is trash at the top of
> the screen when I exit.
> 3. When swapping between consoles (alt+f<num>) i occasionally
> get a copy of the bottom of the last console on the new and the
> new one is shifted up. The size of this varies and just now I
> got the top part of the console I switched to at the bottom.
> Swapping back and forth again 'fixes' it.

An addendum I remembered AFTER I posted:

3a. It's not just the bottom that gets copied but any part of
the last screen can be (I think. this is just what I've been
noticing) and that sometimes, when the full screen has to scroll
(or something similar. the full screen thing I can guarantee 99%
but occasionally it happens in other circumstances) the messed up
screen is restored to its proper position.
4. If I turn the monitor off and then back on I do not get a
display unless I switch to say X, where the display reappears
and then back again to console. The monitor does not show the
'no signal recieved' message while the console is not displaying.
Also, while it's not displaying the monitor will not give me
any OSD boxes (it's a CTX 1972UA 17"), including the status one
where resolution and refresh rates are displayed. This is NOT
reproducable (ie doesn't happen) on console without fb or X.

> Other then the above it's great and being able to have a screen
> that's 160x64 is somewhat nice. :)
>
> Also, is there any point to opening up the console at 32bpp and
> would it be possible to assign different rgb codes to the 16 (32
> if you count the bright ones) colours?

Oh. Just remembered. I use the following to configure the video
db driver: video=matrox:vesa:0x107

Hope this helps in some way (turns up questions/leads to flashes
of insight and so on) as I'd love to see the matroxfb driver
in full operation. I'm getting addicted to this screen size. :)

--
CaT (cat@zip.net.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

There was farting in the air that night, It lit so bright, Fernando...