CDROM freezes (Re: Kernel 126 problem)

Joerg Reuter (jreuter@poboxes.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:09:22 +0100

--==_Exmh_-161414700P

To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Cc: hpa@transmeta.com, torvalds@transmeta.com
From: Joerg Reuter <jreuter@poboxes.com>
Subject: CDROM freezes (Re: Kernel 126 problem)

John Summerfield wrote:

> tried to access my RedHat 5.1 CD - mounted by autofs - and got to
> ls /misc/cd/live
> where I pressed <TAB> to expand the list. The system froze at this
> point: no mouse, no keyboard and no response to ping from another box.

As I wrote yesterday: Me too. :-(

I can now reproduce the locks I've seen... It can happen with
every cd access, not only autofs. In my case it
crashes with a NULL pointer dereference in sock.c:sock_rfree()+0xd:

void sock_rfree(struct sk_buff *skb)
{
struct sock *sk = skb->sk;

atomic_sub(skb->truesize, &sk->rmem_alloc);
}

which gets called from skbuff.c:__kfree_skb(), skb->list is != NULL as
well... After the NULL pointer dereference the kernel tries to kill
the interrupt handler, however it crashes with the message that it cannot
kill the Idle task. The traceback looks like that:

sock_rfree() + 0xd
some static AX.25 function
aha152x_intr() + whatever
some static z8530drv function
scc_proc_dir_entry + 0x74 (probably data [?!])

I can see how I get from a timer function into the aha152x ISR, but how
do I get from there into a NET_BH (AX.25) function?

Regards,

Joerg Reuter http://poboxes.com/jreuter/
And I make my way to where the warm scent of soil fills the evening air.
Everything is waiting quietly out there.... (Anne Clark)

--==_Exmh_-161414700P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3ia

iQEVAwUBNlWULyBlnSJSYec1AQF4gQf/TWz2HCQKphorO5AqGXrFGRhl8FRC9RGv
6BumCY5mW2UKB7S4tPnHGRqN0ck7xvfhLXca8sHTTHPbFQHbV+y9LlDhieAXPhbc
EGQUXtmzi+3M5QY1d7JWrmHpxiUq+ImpOtmDPfdkZaksyRjliZN9qyW8N/dUxgCL
FomrFX+iqlLUhALIkXHttvD4fdkFSpHBQcO9oQQ9+r8jAt6GKT6pk3UfABwfh6Qx
kk3zFUvBTRW61lfwG/bPFdSXHnEnfTXCVNbNaWMV7/FXimvAxYbPKl25J0ZtTjnh
KgEVpcneWUUginIV10+yFctbL3rb2zVutf4tLSb+XgApaYp+4+4ULw==
=pm45
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-161414700P--