Re: Linux V2.1.128 localhost performance

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:16:01 -0800

From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 15:13:39 +0000 (GMT)

> throughput off from chargen via localhost runs at a high speed for
> about 1/2 second, then dribbles down to 40-50 kilobytes per second.
> This makes it difficult to test the performance of network thingies.

Thats a TCP/scheduling bug in 2.1.x - someone modified the algorithms
used to schedule wakeups without really understanding the "deep magic"
in the 2.0.x one. Im assuming it'll get fixed

If it's not fixed in 2.1.129, then I don't have any idea what you are
talking about Alan. So someone either verify the problem goes away in
2.1.129 or Alan explain yourself more thoroughly. Thanks.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com