Re: Possible bug in wait4(), 2.1.126-129 ?

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 13:04:01 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, H. J. Lu wrote:

> : `cmp -s /tmp/.mrs_8036 /etc/local/root.rdist.hosts`
> : die "could not move $tmp_filename to $out_filename: $!" if ($? != 0);
>
> You need to post a small, working perl script for others to
> duplicate the problem.

The above is 'working' for me, just substitute the filenames with two
existing filenames on your system. It really doesn't matter which files,
as soon as I put it in crontab I get the error. In fact it doesn't matter
what the command executes is, I got the same thing with 'cmp', 'mv' and
'ping'.

> You also need to say the version of glibc you are using.

It the latest Red Hat 5.1/5.2 one, 2.0.7-something. I don't *think* it's
glibc-related though, the strace output is pretty clear and it shows the
bare system calls.

Bottom line is, a process dies, its parent gets a SIGCHLD, does a wait4()
and the result is ECHILD. The system calls trace shows nothing unusual.
Unless I'm a complete idiot, I don't see how anything non-kernel could
interefere..

Thanks,
Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.